Monday, October 8, 2012

Hamlet: Who is Shakespeare?!



Life is full of difficult questions--especially if you don't believe in a Creator.  But even if you do, and even if you are a Christian (as I am), there are still many things left to wonder about...and according to the Bible, God is okay with that, and even commends us for seeking the truth (Acts 17:11)!  In Proverbs 14:15, Solomon rightly avers,

"The simple believes every word, but the prudent considers well his steps."

So lately I've been asking myself "Why, God?" (can anyone relate?)


First off, I know that the God of the Bible exists--there is too much evidence supporting His existence in and around me for me to possibly believe otherwise.  What I have been asking is why does God love us (1 John 4:19), and what is the purpose of "love" anyways?  Isn't love just an arbitrary characteristic or invention of an all-powerful God?  And what if love and truth are really evil and lies, and we've all just been hardwired to perceive these things as good?

Who can know if God is truly good and not a divine liar?

But I keep going back to those verses that say things like "His ways are above our ways (Isaiah 55:8-9, Job 38)," and "His love is incomprehensible (Ephesians 3:17-19)," so...I know I'm just supposed to trust Him*.  

Why?

Because I don't know everything, and am incapable of doing so.

C.S. Lewis put it this way: we relate to God the way Hamlet relates to Shakespeare--He is the Writer, and we are the characters in His novel.  He is the Creator, and we are His creation!  (This does not mean, by the way, that He is not involved in our lives; roughly 2000 years ago He wrote Himself into His story as the God/man Jesus Christ and suffered with us and for us for Love's sake!  See John 3:16.)  

Although God is an orderly, logical God, I cannot reach God with logic alone--some belief in mystery is essential.  After all, if we understood all things, faith would be unnecessary (and anyone who seriously studies the Scriptures knows that the truth couldn't be further!  See Hebrews 11:6).

And I take immense comfort in the mystery.
And...it makes me so relieved when I remember the answer (that that question cannot be answered!) that I always breathe a huge sigh of relief, look up, and laugh (as I am doing now).

Love the logic AND the mystery, my friends!

Ardently Yours,
Megan


*Its hard to trust someone you don't know anything about.  If you want to know more about God, you could try
1) reading the book He inspired (the Bible); Here are a few passages for you to read: Exodus 34:5-7, Psalms, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.  For more verses about God's character, here is a good link to check out: http://www.openbible.info/topics/character_of_god
2) Praying (talking) to God and asking Him to reveal Himself to you.  
If you are patient and sincere, I guarantee you will not be disappointed by either option.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing writer, everything of yours that I read makes me look at god in a whole new prespective. You have a gift and I am thrilled you are using it for HIM.

    ReplyDelete